Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hiking in Asheville, NC

After a beautiful day at the Biltmore, we spent the night in downtown Asheville (with all the hippies!) The next day was our big hiking day- it was such a perfect day to hike too- we were so lucky!




Asheville is a little behind on the blossoming flowers, so we still got to enjoy some beautiful colors! I posted this picture because my mom took like 20 pictures of these kinds of trees when she was down here... they are pretty (and I match)!



AUNT DACIA, look where we finally got to eat!!! MMMM MMMM GOOD : )



We bought a Malbec wine at the Biltmore and enjoyed its tastiness at the hotel before we went out to dinner.


We drove the Blue Ridge Parkway (breath-taking road that goes through the mountains for miles and miles on end) to Mount Pisgah. This is one of the highest points of the Blue Ridge Parkway... therefore we saw some amazing views!





There were many tunnels that were pitch black and went right through the mountains..... "can't go under it, can't go over it, gotta go THROUGH it" : )

(goin on a bear hunt, anyone?!?)


This is where we stopped to hike- at an elevation of almost 5000ft! Major ear popping going on.


This is one of the trails we climbed... you can't see it too well, but it states that it is a DIFFICULT trail. Yep- our lungs and my knees felt the difficulty of it! : )


Yes, I am a yoga geek when I want to be. Erik made fun of me and my Warrior II pose.... at least I wasn't sitting on the bench hanging on for DEAR LIFE (see next picture) : )



"I'll just sit right here- this is close enough" -Erik



Exhausted, but loving the amazing view! We are excited to hike another part of the Appalachian Mountains soon!


5 comments:

Dana K said...

More fun times for you guys - way to go!!! Thanks for the Asheville update. It definitely looks like something I will want to do during one of our upcoming visits. And I so apprecite your flower/tree pictures - I have taught you well! I'm glad you two were able to get away, relax, and enjoy some time together exploring new areas! Now back to work!!!

Dana K said...

p.s. and I suppose that wasn't a "real" blossoming pink tree either!?! (i.e. - eagle kite - ha!)

Kyra Jo said...

LOL You are a good sport, mom :) But the tree was real- I promise!

Jana said...

A)I like your shirt, I bet the Asheville hippies did too! :) and MA, cuz MA likes peace signs these days!
B) MELLOW MUSHROOM is kind of hard to say... was it better than Waseca's World Famous YELLOW MUSHROOM?!?
C) did you go through the dark black tunnels? Were there bats in them? Remember when we used to go biking and MA would cover her head through the tunnels?!!
D) LOVE! :)

mama/auntie dacia said...

Oh yippee, you did find a Mushroom Pizza! Hope it was good and healthy. It took me 4 trys to get the healthy pizza at Gusta pizza in Florence...I'll tell ya about it sometime. I love your adventures. Can't wait to come and see some of this stuff for myself. We have to plan a family trip in a rented RV with an overnight in a Wal-mart parking lot next winter.