Sunday, March 29, 2009

Families come to visit!!!

What a wonderful week it was having such great guests at our home! Although the weather couldn't have been more opposite for the two groups of visitors, we definitely made the most of what Mother Nature threw our way!

Our first visitors were Trudy and Dave. It has been quite some time since they had been to the south, so we were happy to have them. Trudy was impressed with how clean and nice our place was (major points scored there) and I think they were both very happy to finally SEE where we live, work and play! I think deep down they KINDA wanted it to suck so that we had to come back to Minnesota. But once Trudy approved and found out she even liked it, all she could say was "damn." Lol. Honestly though, I think they were happy to see that we don't live in a trailor home with goats in our front yard, drive a broken down truck, and have half of our teeth missing. We live in a great area of Charlotte!


Out in uptown Charlotte doing a little shopping and wandering around while enjoying the beautiful day!

Trudy and I outside in a nice area of Charlotte right after a tasty outdoor lunch break!



Happy to be together and outside enjoying the gorgeous 70 degerees and sunny day.


Yep. I'm a reader. I used to do it around Trudy to score more points (Joe just always has more points than me because he made Ella, and I cannot compete with her sweetness!) but now I am pretty addicted and love to read... especially out on the balcony : ) So peaceful!


Perfect grilling weather- we grilled burgers and asparagus and couldn't get enough- it was so good. We sat out by the pool and enjoyed drinks and each other's company until it got dark. It was a perfect way to spend our last evening together! Thanks so much for visiting, Trudy and Dave... Please come again! : )

-----------------------------------------------------

Onto our next visitors... Dana and Jana (aka MA and toobs). For how much our family loves the sun, warmth and being outdoors, they sure had the worst luck with weather! We had non-stop rain and clouds from Wednesday through Saturday!!! Not only was it very rare for Charlotte to have so many days of constant rain, but our average temps are mid-high 60s now! Dave and Trudy left Wednesday morning and had 5 days of gorgeous sun and mild/warm weather. It was the exact opposite for the Kingsley girls. I felt so bad, but hey what could we do but make cookie dough and write plays (lol- long story, can explain later)?!?! Either way, we still had a great time and they managed to get a few hours of sun on their last day!
The ladies.... mom always got the "cute" award. And if not her, it was Jana. Oh well, I tried! : )
Right after I picked them up fron the airport, they wanted to try out the famous southern fast food chain "Chick-Fil-A" .... we'll just say it was definitely an EXPERIENCE. Good food, amazing (yet creepy) entertainment, but memories for sure. Ask Jana about Omar... she'll gladly go into more detail.

Cheers! We could barely even wait until the first night to get to Salsas and have margaritas and some chips and salsa (ohhh and dinner too). Tasty stuff (and they sat us right next to the outdoor area... where we should have been sitting if it were sunny and dry... insert pout here).

We decided to check out northern Charlotte and shop till we dropped (or at least I dropped). It was a great time and I bought tennis shoes to change into because my high heeled lady shoes were killing me. We ate at "Sticky Fingers" and Mom and Jana definitely felt like they were "in the south" there! : )

I am working on my hosting skills now that we are having guests more often... so I went out and bought a nice welcome mat (the one that was holding). First thing Dana commented on when we got to our place was how hideous the welcome mat was- she thought it came with the place! LOL. I have such great taste. So we went out and they found me the clown welcome mat (the one on the floor) because it was prettier. It was a pretty good ongoing joke throughout the week. "It was the thought that counts Kyra" : )


Rain rain go away! Erik and my mom under the umbrella.


Our last night..... power went out due to too much rain, Jana and Kyra did a play, Mom made us tasty drinks, played catch phrase and we were all bad at it, photo shoots on the stairs and we finished it off with a great dinner at Portofinos where Erik got this monstrous lobster with rice and clams. It was so huge, we just had to take a picture.


YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA for blue skies and sunshine finally! My mom took some gorgeous blue sky/Charlotte tree pictures. I'm just sharing a few with you.


These trees are everywhere... still trying to figure out exactly what they are. Love them though!


TWO thumbs up for some well earned sun and pool time. Although it was pretty windy and they had to go back to Minnesota that afternoon, I think we all still enjoyed seeing the sun again! Thanks for being such good sports, ma and toobs! We had such a great time, but I think they were ready to "give me back to Erik" so I could bug him again instead of them. With Meg and Joe (hopefully) coming to visit within the next month, we just gotta get my dad down here and convince EVERYONE to move : )


LOVE to our friends and family and please come visit anytime! XOXOXOXOXO
-----------------------------------------------------


Some randoms of Erik's new Ford Escape.... Yea! We love it! These aren't the best pictures, but I took them the night he got it because we were too excited. Pretty sure he won't be able to go back to a little car after driving this around!


8 comments:

GREAT Aunt Lani said...

Kyra-I'm so proud!! Pictures so soon. I really enjoyed the commentary-the "writing plays" experience helped I'm sure. Looks beautiful-could the trees be magnolias or dogwoods? We saw them in DC, too. GREAT Aunt Lani

Anonymous said...

Great update on your week - fun pictures too. I think Lantha & I need to check NC out soon. She doesn't have MUCH going on this year - Love ya Sweetie - Hugs to Henry too!!

Jana said...

WHO'S HENRY?!?!

Whitney Bestor said...

Hokey smokes! Here I am telling you to update your blog more often and here I am three blogs behind!! Haha... sounds like you had as much fun with visitors as I did! Yay for the new car--Ty will like that you got a ford! And Al's not the ONLY one who still needs to come visit! Also, does the Kingsley clan not know that there is a Chik-fil-ay (or however its spelled) in Minnesota?!?! Its at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis! Coffman Union! Yeah we're special. Looks like you still had fun with everyone despite the opposing "climates"!

mama/auntie dacia said...

Kyra you are "prego" in your updates! (that's super in Italian (kind of)not the american version of with-child)Fun to see some more of your world! What a weather bummer for the sun goddesses-just the Windler luck. All of your other visitors lucked out though. I think I lucked out in Italy as we only had 1 1/2 rainy days out of all of them! Ty says that umbrella lemmings are funnier then the regular lemmings.(that's what he called all of us tourists on our tours) You look like wonderful hosts and can't wait to sneek down there. Anyone for a roadtrip???

Jana said...

I'm all about a roadtrip, count me in! :)

Whitney Bestor said...

count me in on roadtrip too!!! just please will someone wait to plan something until AFTER may 16th?!?

Kyra Jo said...

CUTE i like roadtrips!!!! where are we going?! lol kidding.
YES PLEASE COME HERE. right now. our weather wins this weekend- promise!
LOVE YOU, FAMILIES!

ps toobs, henry is erik's "old person" name : )