Thursday, June 25, 2009

Triathlon 2009

CARB/PROTEIN - LOADING the night before the big race : ) spaghetti and chicken! Mom and dad had to carb-load with us... they had a lot of work to do the next day!!!

This is what you get when you wake Kyra up at 430am.... either super cranky and still sleeping OR just plain delerious. Well, this morning happened to be the delerious and just plain weird Kyra. Mom woke up to me doing the breast-stroke in the living room. I was just mentally and physically preparing!

Bikes on the rack, food in our stomachs, got mom out of bed.... we are ready to go!

Here we are- still smiling (pre race) in the transition area
The triathlon was in Columbia, South Carolina (approx 75 miles south of Charlotte) and it was 103 degrees and humid (heat index off the charts...) Hot hot hot!


Ma and Pa Kingsley were saints for cheering us on and standing out in the hot/humid weather for hours! Thanks so much guys!

We were beginners and it showed.... this guy was nice enough to show us how to rack our bikes, set up our transition area, how to wear our numbers, etc. There are so many ways to get penalized in these triathlons- good thing we had him (Even though he kicked our butts in the race- haha)!

Good luck kiss before we begin the first part of the triathlon.... the swim


Erik (in the background) and I focusing before we started our very first triathlon


Yep, I'm still posing for pictures... just seconds before I started my swim, with the other "Novice" ladies in my group (beginner group)


THERE WE ARE! CAN YOU SEE US?!? I think this is my group - silver swim caps. Erik got to wear a neon green swim cap... it was great!


YEP there's the green swim cap- love it! Sexy spandies honey! Erik's swim was probably the best part of his race... he is such a good swimmer! Long arms, strong heart and some previous high school practice helped him finish at the front of his group.


Still smiling.... the water felt great, even a little too warm! I wanted to do the swim again and just skip some of the other parts! : )


I wasn't the QUICKEST at the transition... took a seat to put my shoes on, dried off a little, had a little chat with my ma and pa. haha- ooops!


And off I go on my bike.... not to be seen again for many many long minutes to come....


Go Erik Go!



My mom doing what she does best- although it was a little harder to pull out a smile for the camera in these circumstances!


Erik starting the last leg of the race... the 5k run!



Almost there, honey! (How does he make it look so easy?!?! I need to learn that trick)


This was the best part of the entire triathlon.... getting sprayed by some random guy and his hose. It felt SO GOOD and came at just the right time.



This is in the first few minutes of the run for me:
Dad- "Come on Ky, you can do it- you can't stop now!" He's right... he knew how I felt- he'd been there through 7 marathons!



Mom thinking... "Ummm is she going to make it? I'll just smile for her"


This picture is hard to see, but dad ran the last 1/4 mile with me (just like I used to do with him in his marathons!) It was cute- he was a great inspiration!


ALMOST DONE- hence the half smile!


We did it! We finished! The guy in the middle is someone I work with at Maersk... he also kicked our butts! Ha!



Oooooooooooooooooooooooh such a good stretch!


Hi Grandma Chubby (talking to her right after the race... I think we were both in tears)


CHAMPION DAD OF THE YEAR!


Moral of the story... we had fun, it was a good experience and challenge, AND we finished without needing the ambulance!


Cool dry-fit triathlon shirt we got... little too big for me. Al and Erik will wear the shirts with pride!



COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! (post triathlon and nap)


Life is good again.





More pictures/updates to come from when Dana and Al were here visiting. We had such a great time! : )

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! WE got pictures - have been patiently waiting and being HOT here. YUCK - No pool to cool off in - looks pretty comfy after the tough & early morning. Congrats again - Proud Grandma Chubby

mama/auntie dacia said...

How awesome to have such athletes in our family! Gramma Evy would be telling you to sit and not work so hard!! It's been triathalon weather here in your honor! I've tried to run my 5K here and can't imagine a bike and swim to boot! Crazy youngsters you. Great job.
post scrotum:antsk
Are we still playing this game?

Kyra Jo said...

CUUUTE thanks guys- yes, we are still playing this game! i am post scrotum, polessis. that's a lot of s's! we are happy to be sitting by the pool, enjoying some drinks tonight (as opposed to being in bed by now last friday night- haha) glad you enjoyed the pictures... more to come. love you guys!

GREAT Aunt Lani said...

Great pictures and dialog....I have been patiently waiting for some and checking your blog twice daily. All I can say is "Why?" I guess so you can say, "You did it" You should both be proud!! Great Aunt Lani
pss reigi (can I play, too?)

Jana said...

Good job TOOBER-DOO! I am so proud of you and Erik (as you know)! :) Cute pictures...
post scrotum: dkdzof
post saggy scrotum: are you still handicapped by your log in thingy?
post soggy saggy scrotum: do you remember that song about the SCRRRRROTUM?! (it's a wrinkly crinkly bag of skin...)
GRANDMA, don't get mad, it's the LYRICS of a SONG! :)
LOVERLIES!

Dana K said...

I wanna play too!!! It looks like I'm a little "post scrotum" myself since Al and I were out on a date celebrating 06-26 tonight. We are so proud of the crazy Severson's for challenging themselves to this silly race - it was a neat experience for all of us - and Al and I were so glad we could be there to cheer them on. I wasn't motivated enough to participate though so I guess I'll have to stick to team photographer for now. Dacia has battle scars from her latest run - you'll have to ask her about them. Auntie Letta wants you to know that she REALLY REALLY enjoys following your blog and she'd like to tell you herself but she doesn't know how!?! You would have enjoyed watching the three sisters try to work their digital cameras at lunch on Thursday!!! Love and miss you lots!
MA (aka Kate + Eight)
p.s. wingeo
p.p.s. this one is for Yanna
p.p.p.s. have you heard it's been hot here?!? I LOVE it!!!
p.p.p.p.s. love you g'night! :)

Kyra Jo said...

Hi scrotum posters!!! This is ERIK. Kyra let me do a bloggerposter thing...is that what this is??? I'm glad you all enjoyed the pics of us dying in the triathlon...did you see my man-thong in picture # 12 (haha made you look!!!!) Love to all!!! HI AUNTIE LETTA!!!!! PPPSSSS: VIRESTI (did I play it right???)

Dana K said...

Good job Erik - you fellow "scrotum poster" you!!! You are such a wanna-be sometimes but I love it that you are always game to "play" with us! But just remember that your wife is the oddest of us all!!!! Love you GONG!!!

Dana K said...

almost forget my post scrotum -
suali!!!